Skip to main content

Statement of Intent

For my adverts I intend to follow conventions of already existing billboard posters by using my brand name and slogan over an image of my model. My brand name and slogan both link to Fairtrade which is the foundation of the advertisement. My advert will link to the brief through the media language section of the media theoretical framework by sticking to advert conventions whilst also having the element of Fairtrade as a focal point for my adverts. My plan to incorporate fairtrade is to use cotton plants in order to link the clothing with the raw materials that will be used to make them. Fairtrade cotton has a big market and is a well-known Fairtrade product so this will make it easy to distinguish that my brand is about Fairtrade clothing. The name of my brand is 'Gaia' which is Mother Nature in Greek mythology so links with fairtrade subtly and isn't 'in your face' with fairtrade. Part of my logo is 'Fairtrade Fashion' as well which shows the Fairtrade element to make sure that people are aware as that will be there unique selling point (USP) for my business. The slogan for my brand is 'All fairtrade. All the time.' which again emphasis the Fairtrade USP of my brand. 

The audience that my brand is aimed at is teenagers and young adults about 16-25 as the clothing has quite a young feel to it but won't isolate other age groups from the brand. It will also mainly be aimed at women as generally they are more empathetic and so are more likely to be drawn in by a USP of Fairtrade than men are. Although this doesn't mean that men will be excluded from my brand it just means that my advertising will be aimed mainly at them. Because the products are Fairtrade it will mean that the prices the products are sold at will be higher in order for the company to make a profit so the demographic that they will be aimed it is the AB demographic.

My advert will fit the media representations section of the theoretical framework by conveying a message about Fairtrade and how it is a positive thing. My representation will be constructed through the use of a cotton plant in my advert in order to clearly convey the message about Fairtrade. This representation will also be made clear in my logo and slogan. 

My company that is making the products (Gaia) is working with Fairtrade in order to sustainably source cotton for its clothing range. It will use sustainable factories to manufacture the clothing range and will make sure working conditions are within the required standards by the Fairtrade organisation. Profit will be generated from the products by selling them at a higher price than most other clothes on the market, other than upmarket brands, because they will cost more to produce with Fairtrade. Because they will cost more to produce and working conditions will be better than other companies and the workers will be paid more, this will mean that the quality of the goods will be higher than most high street fashion brands. As part of the marketing campaign my adverts will appear in different locations such as billboards, bus stops and train stations. These cross-media platforms will; allow the product to be advertised widely and will increase revenue as more people will be aware of the brand and will likely be attracted by the ethical ideology on which the company is built.

Comments